Thursday, July 03, 2008

I am alive.. somewhat

I will not call names but I am not one of those people that have forsaken blogsphere, I try to update this thing at least once weekly but as GC may have noticed I have been spread a little thin lately. So what have I been up to since early June?

  • I have learnt art is where the money is. I went to a swanky art show at somebody's house in the Acadia suburbs of Kingston. Free wine, free food, 1/2 naked models bouncing up and down the runway, bumping elbows with people who buy paintings and prints at $400,000 a pop.. it was a good night. I think its time to pick up a paintbrush and a canvas.

  • I passed through Caribbean Fashion week and a few of the parties. At two of the events fate would have it that r-dawg, my x from about 4 years ago, would cross paths and have plenty of time for awkward silence and to catch up. She is doing well she is now a medical doctor.. congrats r-dawg lol. Anyway the picture on the left does have some relevance. The promoters of CFW advertised a bunch of b-list celebs associated with the event and made a big deal about it. Now can someone tell me what does Nia Long, Eve, some lady from soul food have to do with Caribbean Fashion Week? You can't really see it in my picture but Eve has put on a lot of weight or was she always that fat? Does the TV camera hide the pounds? It took me about 20 minutes to figure who the fat lady was beside me at a party that everybody wanted to talk to. meh, maybe I'm just slow.
  • The price for everything is went up yet my company has found a way to make savings by cutting my pay. I used to work at least 123 extra hours on a standby arrangement per month but effective July that figure has moved down to at least 67 extra hours. It's understandable though.. the timing is just bad given the current inflation trends. This will now free up some time for me to enjoy my nights and weekends more. They may be cutting my standby pay but as of recent I have been clocking some major overtime hours. Even later on tonight at midnight I shall be going to work to add 4 more hours to the meter. I'm not sure how I will make my meeting tomorrow at 9am after tonight's work.
  • I went to the beach and got sun burned as usual. What was unusual was the two couples I saw doing it in the water. I always heard of people having sex in the water at the hellshire beach but this was the first time I was spotting it for myself. Should have brought along Tami the paparazzi to capture evidence. I guess it is time to find a new secluded beach.
  • Everything at my company is last minute so when they asked me at Lunch time on Friday if I was able to attend a meeting in Florida on Monday I was not surprised. I looked on the itinerary and saw that I would be staying at a hotel right in front of Sawgrass Mills mall in Fort Lauderdale and my weekend instantly took a turn for the better. By early Sunday afternoon I was unpacked at trodding the 1+ mile of mall. I must say even though they have added two new sections since I've last been there the mall seems a lot smaller than I remembered.
  • I have sold my trusty sidekick Olympus camera this morning and got $200 for it. I didn't want to sell it but after stepping up to the even geeky-er 400D Canon DSLR I could use some of the extra cash to help buy a lens. So far I've spent around $900 and I only have a starter kit, I need to budget like $600 more before I can start putting out some good quality pictures. I guess I should make photography my new hobby, or maybe I can make some money off it based on what I saw at the show mentioned in the first bullet point.
That's it for now.. hopefully I can put out more than 3 posts this month. I think it's time for some leave.

16 comments:

Tami said...

Ohh boy, dam right i wud have sneaked a pic in. I went a few weeks ago and a couple was doing it...wait for it.."ON THE SAND!" dude was on top just laying it in. Good times. Dude u sold ur cam? and so cheap too. Dammit i cud slap u. My cam has been PMS-ing. FYI- ur company gonna get a bokkle boom one day from a frustrated customer, dam them for changing the prepaid conditions.

Adrian said...

on the sand eh? at least the water provides some form of privacy. I saw one blogger call it hidden in plain sight.

$200 on the secondary market is cheap? lol I guess thats why it sold so quickly.

I will leave Pandora's box closed, no comment on the company issue.

owen said...

man you've been milking the over time, no wonder they cutting back

Anonymous said...

You think Eve is fat?????? Oh lord, time get back to my running at the dam....Sigh, the never ending weight battle...
True about the art thing, i went to a function at Barry Watson's house last w/end and when i hear what his pieces go for.....i almost passed out

Dee said...

Eve is not fat.
thanks for updating.
now your job is forcing you to get a life? that's rich.

Crankyputz said...

wow ee you got a lot going on...

GC is kinda mean jeez...

Not sure Doing on the beach is any fun, I never liked sand in my nether regions...yuck...

SimplEnigma said...

LOL...127 hours of standby? LMAO. No wonder they are cutting back. Cheese on bread!

Hmm, having dated numerous members of said art circle, I can confirm that that is NOT where the money is, until you're dead or Oprah mentions you on her show. LOL.

You need more free time anyway. Enjoy life and ting.

BTW, I need your help, I wanna know what I need to do to have the most recent comments and places I lurk show up on my blog home page like you. You're my hero! :)

Unknown said...

You have been up to a lot, no wonder you couldn't find time to post!

Crazy over time you say? I haven't seen one of those in years! Em, any positions in your department?

Congrats on the camera, I am still saving like crazy for my Nikon DSLR but expenses keep biting chunks out of it.

Adrian said...

lots o' comments!

That's not a lot going on.. I just compressed a few weeks in June into a post. :D

@SE: flattery will get you nowhere! but i'm all about sharing so:

Recent comments: I got the widget from here and customized it a 'lil bit

Places I lurk: that is a straight blogger widget, just go to your template and add it as a page element. This is the link to their official release.

@stunner: trust me, start saving double time, the equipment hexpensive! $400 for an external flash? $600 for a lens and the prices go up to $2000 and thats just a lens.

Anonymous said...

About the meeting in Florida... I can see it all now. you tied to a chair being tortured CIA in Iraq style.
Boss:"You have to go to that meeting or else...."
Adrian:"But who is gonna feed my goldfish"...
Boss:"No buts, just pack youR things and go to that meeting"

Dee said...

@CP
it was supposed to be tongue in cheek

Pepper said...

if eve is fat...what am i a whale?

CFW was hella fun and what so wrong with them bringing international lines and stars to fashionweek? didnt you see lots of caribbean stars?

sheesh!

Anonymous said...

hmmmmm

Anonymous said...

hey adrian, its good to hear you are enjoying these events i invite you to.....oh wait no, it sounds more like u r bashing. oh well, im not complaining i will just find someone who doesn't mind me spoiling them with fabulouscity....if thats a word.
i thought it would be fun for you, seeing all these half-naked girls and eating all the really delicious food, adding to your many pounds.
some people you just can't please.

Unknown said...

next time you coming to south florida, specically ftl, shoot me an email nuh.

Adrian said...

lol it was a big coincidence I was online up there and saw you on at the same time eh? the trip was all last minute and I didn't really have any time to do much while I was up there.. but next time for sure!