Saturday, May 13, 2006

This week was pretty much a waste

No work got done at the office.. mainly due to the fact that there was nothing to do. The AC in my office seems to be stuck on high so I have perfected the art of sleeping in my chair in cold dry conditions. To give you an idea of the conditions, the jacket you see me wearing is standard issue at my office and is really meant to be worn in freezer rooms for storing meat.. etc. I figure one of the problems is that the AC is meant to cool a room of 20 people but in this case there is only 1 person maybe 3 on a good day.

This is a picture I took from one of the windows you see behind me. When I am dying of bordom I might turn around and look at the people walking on the street below for a few minutes or so. I work in downtown Kingston, a place not too desired by many. I hear gunshots on occasion and have seen someone get stabbed through my window but once you are inside the building its pretty secure :-p

I should explain why I have so much free time at work :-). I am a systems administrator for enterprise class servers. Most of the machines I oversee only provide the infrastructure that runs business logic so there isn't much need for me to interact with the end users. Don't get it twisted though, when things are failing the torrential rains start and when it rains it pours. So my main activity is just ensuring that things and failing and to prevent/detect future failures with these not so gentle giants.

No comments: